We celebrate people when they are leaving,
but not necessarily when they are arriving.
We're glad you're here! Not, we're glad you were here.
When you are new to a college...
- Being a faculty member at a new place is stressful. In fact, the entire new semester is stressful.
How we can help our newest colleagues.
- Introduce yourself to a new person and offer to help. "I can be a resource for you."
- Recall what it was like when you were new. What could have helped you?
- Don't give them extra things to do.
- Discourage them from volunteering for extra work. We want a first year person to concentrate on teaching.
- If they were the second choice for the job, don't tell them!
- Invite them to lunch!
Next week: Welcoming New Students
We welcome your comments, feedback and guest post submissions.
Email: General Information | Prof. David C. Pecoraro
Daniel & David
Direct download: sc_pod_184.mp3
-- posted at: 10:40am PDT