Tue, 28 May 2013
The First Year of College and Your Family
In this podcast, we offer advice for college bound students and their parents about the transition which occurs between high school and college.
• What happens between high school and college is a big change.• You are now a "College Man or "College Woman"
• What is it like having a college student at home or away in a dorm?
• Parents, this can be a time of "fear."
• College changes everything!
• We recommend a genuine heart - to - heart family meeting.Students, give your parents a good idea of the work load that you have - yes, show them your syllabi.
• Students, before, during and after college, you are still that family member.
• Students, be sensitive to younger siblings.
• Ask and answer the question: "Is living away from home a good idea?"
• Parents, is it best for my student to live away from home?
• Hear the story: "Where's Farm Boy?"
• In dorm life, you build a second family.
• Students: It's really nice if you don't desert your family during that first year.
Keep in mind, that your goal is to get to that wonderful day of celebration - the commencement ceremony!
We welcome your feedback to this podcast and our work: PLEASE go to iTunes and write a review or simply, in iTunes, click on STAR to rate us. – we would really appreciate that! Email us! Daniel: email@example.com OR David: firstname.lastname@example.org
OR You may tell give voice feedback on student caring TOLL – FREE voice number: 1 – (855) NEWWAY- CARE That’s – 1 -(855)639-9292
THIS EPISODE WAS RECORDED ON Wednesday, March 20, 2013
PLEASE JOIN OUR COMMUNITY You may find us on: Twitter Facebook Google+ Pinterest and at STUDENT CARING DOT COM – You may also sign up for our free NEWSLETER – That way, we can keep you informed about our upcoming Book: The Caring Professor: A Guide to Effective, Rewarding, and Rigorous Teaching.