How we can thrive and survive - meetings.
Notes from our podcast.
What makes a meeting bad, good, and recommendations.
- Meetings are part of our lives, either as the organizer or attendee.
- Bad meetings are meetings that run long.
- Meetings should not run more than 30 minutes.
- Causes of a bad meeting:
- A poorly established agenda
- Lack of leadership
- The tendency of people to talk to much
- How do you know when you are in a good meeting?
- The time goes by quickly
- There is a purpose to the meeting
- The meeting ends when you are done with the agenda
- A meeting should only exist if there is reason for the personnel to interact with a topic.
- Do not bring people together to inform them.
- Colleagues should not be allowed to speak endlessly.
- You can set time limits on the agenda items.
- Recognize that you can't control the behavior of others, but you can control your own.
- Think about what you want to say and say it concisely.
- If a meeting is wandering off topic, you can bring everyone back to focus by stating where we are and where we need to be.
Next week: Buying and Reading Books
We welcome your comments, feedback and guest post submissions.
Email: General Information | Prof. David C. Pecoraro
Daniel & David
All Podcasts via This Website
Click this Link to Subscribe via iTunes
Click this Link to Listen on Stitcher Smart Radio
Click this Link to Subscribe via Google Play
Click this Link to Subscribe via RSS (non-iTunes feed)
SC 187 Meetings - Meetings - Meetings!
If you are concerned about making tenure or getting hired as a full time professor, this book is for you.